Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Last Song

Okay, I may take some flack for this, but here goes...I just watched the movie "The Last Song." I know it was supposed to be bad, a teen movie, etc.

It made me weep. I should have known though, it is a Nicholas Sparks book. (spoiler alert) I didn't know what the title really meant, I assumed it was some sappy thing about growing up. About half way through you find out that the father has cancer and wanted to spend his last summer with his kids in his childhood hometown.

I have recently felt that fear of dying and leaving my children behind. I will not lie to you about the sheer terror that invoked in me. I didn't know at that time that there were options for me, and that I would be okay. I have a chronic, serious illness that is life-threatening if not taken care of. It has made me more aware of what is important in life than I have ever been before. I am unashamed to say that my faith was shaken to the core, and that in the midst of the storm I finally saw things with a new clarity.

Again, another slap in the face trying to get my attention that I am not able to control everything. I think God is really trying to tell me something!

My children, my husband, my family and my friends, these are the things that really matter. I will spend every waking breath trying to enjoy them to the fullest. Whether I have 1 or 100,000,000,000 more to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment