Saturday, January 15, 2011

Sharing My Story

I love sharing my story with others. Today I got to share with one of my nurses, and it was really nice. 


A week ago a nurse that wasn't even usually in my unit and I started talking. I have to tell them each time I get checked in that I have an eating disorder, which leads to the question, "What kind, anorexia or bulimia?" I then explain my "type" of eating disorder, Not Otherwise Specified or NOS.


They also almost always say, "You're too young to have all of these complications." I then have to explain what I did, how it affected me and why I started it in the first place. 


That nurse and I really hit it off. After talking with her at length, we decided to get together and talk the next day. It was great to tell her my story and see her interest, but there was something else that transpired above and beyond what either of us expected. She really got an insight into a patient's mind, understanding better how to care for them beyond the physical aspect. 


I felt good sharing it with her, and I know she also felt good about it. I believe this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment