Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Best Friends

Do you remember your best friend from childhood? That person that you were with every moment that you could. You shared lunches, secrets, clothes, lip gloss and dreams. When someone thought of you, they thought of her. You were so close that you considered her mother yours and she thought the same of yours. Sleepovers, campouts, shopping, giggles,  you did it all. When something good happened, she was the first person you told. When something bad happened, she was the first person you called. You were there for each other through thick and thin.

I had a couple of these friends throughout my life. They have been there for me, and I hope I was there for them. I had lost touch with most of them over the years, but the wonders of technology has brought most of them back into my life. Having shared memories has rekindled the connection we once had to some extent.

Every woman deserves a best girlfriend, someone they can talk to and open up to. My husband is probably the very best friend I have ever had, and he has certainly shouldered many burdens being my husband. He has wanted to be the hero, to swoop in and rescue me. He can't. Only I can rescue myself. THAT was a hard lesson to learn. He can be my best friend, but I need others, friends that I can laugh with and call in the middle of the night to stay with the kids when I have to go the hospital. I have a few of those friends right now that I know I could call and they would be over here in a moment's notice.

"No man is an island..." a quote from John Donne means a lot to me. I had to learn that only I could make the changes in myself, that no one could save me and make everything better. I have learned that lesson, but I have also learned another, I need friends. I need my husband, girlfriends, "couple-friends", I need professionals and I need my family, to heal fully. No one should shoulder the burden alone, we were created to function together in life.

 “And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way.” Ephesians 1:22-23

No comments:

Post a Comment