Monday, November 16, 2009

Rolling with the Punches

I feel like I have been beaten a lot lately. There is that feeling that the "world" is out to get my family and me. We can't seem to get a hold on things to turn them back around in our favor. But then I thought about the saying, "roll with the punches."



McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs says that to roll with the punches is:


Fig. to absorb the force of a blow, as in boxing. You have to learn to roll with the punches. Accept what is dealt to you. Paul could never roll with the punches. He always had to get even.

McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.



I think I am over absorbing the blows. I am ready to fight back, to put my own "punch" out to the universe. I want to show that I am tougher than I appear. I have taken a lot in my life, but I deserve joy and happiness too. I am ready to enjoy everything life has to offer.


I will start each day stating that it WILL be a good day. When rolling out of bed, my first words will be positive. I will re-train my brain to think happier thoughts. I will not dwell on the tough things. The Serenity Prayer comes to mind:



God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.



What would happen if I stopped worrying about everything?

Would I find joy in the little things?

Would I feel healthier in spirit AND body?

I'll let you know how it goes!

I am through with "rolling with the punches!"

No comments:

Post a Comment