Saturday, August 15, 2009

Daily Affirmations

I am starting something new here on the blog.

When I was admitted to the hospital each time for treatment, (three times total) there were several things that each place had in common. One was affirmations.

Merriam-Webster defines Affirmation as follows:
  • Main Entry: af·fir·ma·tion
  • Pronunciation: \ˌa-fər-ˈmā-shən\
  • Function: noun
  • Date: 15th century
1 a : the act of affirming b : something affirmed : a positive assertion

A positive assertion, I like that. It is believed that stating something positive over and over will re-train the brain to accept the positive message over the negative one that was being used before.

I am a visual person, and I view it like this:

I had a tape player (for you young ones out there, an MP3 player) that was on a continuous loop in my head. It played all kinds of horrible things for me. Ugly things.

By not only repeating a positive statement to myself over and over inside my head, but also stating it aloud, I was re-formatting that tape. I was replacing the ugliness with beauty.

I would tape statements to my mirror and every time I looked in that mirror and wanted to pick my appearance apart, I would read them. Eventually I was able to believe some of them. Some are still more difficult than others, but it does get easier.

Today I am going to give you a quote that I like, it is encouraging me to try and to not give up.

"I faced the woman in the mirror and asked, 'How will you ever know what you can do if you don't try?' "
~Chris Mullins


No comments:

Post a Comment