Friday, December 25, 2009

I'm a Survivor?

I have been through a lot of counseling services, both in-patient and out-patient since I was about 13 years old. I have been told that I am a "survivor" of childhood trauma. It is true, I am. But it seems that I have let that define who I am.

Taking on the word "survivor" over "victim" is definitely an improvement, however, I am not sure that is what I want to be known for. I have done so much more than "survive," I have grown, lived, thrived even. I am a strong, healthy, intelligent, kind woman that is learning to love herself more each day. I want that to be what I am known for, not the things from my past that I have overcome.

Don't get me wrong, those things have shaped who I have become and even the most horrific things have taught me lessons that I needed to be the woman I am today. I just don't want that to be the thing that people think of when they think of me. I want to MORE! I want the following words to describe me, and like affirmations, if I repeat them enough to myself I will believe them.

Strong
Confident
Trustworthy
Kind
Empathetic
Proud
Understanding
Brave
Determined

Oh, I am sure there are more words that I will come up with as I move into 2010, but these are a good start. I already embody many of these, but am working towards the others!

Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Rachel,

    Thanks for your kind words on my Christmas post. It is so encouraging to know that our blog has made a difference in someone's life. It's what keeps me going!

    I am saying a prayer right now for you and your family during this difficult season in your life. Keep fighting, girl!

    May your New Year be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kaley! Prayers are the medicine we all need during this time in our country's history!

    And I do love your blog!

    ~Rach

    ReplyDelete